Moushumi Sharmin, PhD
Associate Professor · She/Her/Hers
In the midst of a global pandemic that is showing no signs of leaving us, I am trying to be positive and productive.
Recent and Upcoming News and Events:
- Attending CHI 2022 (virtually), April 2022.
- Attending Virtual Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing as the chair of Human-Computer Interaction Track, GHC 2021, Sep 27-Oct 1st.
- Anais Dawson won the outstanding graduate student award, 2021. Congratulations Anais!!!!
- Forest Sweeney's MS work on Vaping Behavior has been accepted for presentation and publication to OzCHI 2020.
Talks on Autism
- Shameem and I gave a talk on Autism and Scientifically Proven Interventions and Services for Autism on Saniya Rahman Autism Blog on March 5th, 2022. This is targeted towards a Bangla-speaking audience. Presentation: https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?ref=search&v=1005344373733421
- I gave a talk on IEP on Jan 30, 2022 on মায়ার আলিঙ্গন. This talk was for Bangla Speaking non-technical, non-academic audience.
- I gave a talk on ABA Therapy and Autism (in Bangla), Feb 6th on মায়ার আলিঙ্গন. This talk was for Bangla Speaking non-technical, non-academic audience. Link: https://www.facebook.com/175089797625933/videos/463593128347653
- Shameem and I presented a virtual talk about Autism and Technology, Nov 12th, on Sanya Rahman Autism Vlog. This platform has 17000+ members who are parents or caregivers of children with autism. This was for Bangla Speaking audience. Link: https://www.facebook.com/SaniyaAutismVlog/videos/1052830791788991
- I participated in a discussion related to Autism, Misconceptions, and Nutrition, Nov 1st, on NutriTalk - an online program. Link: https://www.facebook.com/doctortv.net/videos/787814608731770
- Shameem and I presented a virtual talk about Autism, Family, and Technology, Sep 12, 2020. This was for Bangla Speaking audience. Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A77jqNlPF40&list=PL0q25H2G5qeGARHtO1TJ4Ddj73c2JA4ma
Mobile Health (mHealth), Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), Interactive Visualization, Autism, Affective Computing
Journal and Conference Publications
(sorted chronologically) * indicates co-first-authors
- Ahmed, S., Hossain, M. M., Pragner, C., Kimball, M., Shrivastava, A., Gildner, J., McCulloch, S., and Sharmin, M. Constrained Life in a Multifarious Environment - A Closer Look at the Lives of Autistic College Students, CHI 2022 (to appear)
- Islam, T., Liang, P. W., Sweeney, F., Pragner, C., Thiagarajan, J., Sharmin, M. and Ahmed, S. College Life is Hard! - Shedding Light on Stress Prediction for Autistic College Students using Data-Driven Analysis. 2021 IEEE 45th Annual Computers, Software, and Applications Conference (COMPSAC), 2021.
- McCulloch, S., Gildner, J., Hoefel, B., Cervantes, G., Ahmed, S. and Sharmin, M. Visualization as a Tool to Understand the Experience of College Students with Autism. 2021 IEEE 45th Annual Computers, Software, and Applications Conference (COMPSAC), 2021.
- Sweeney, F. and Sharmin, M. Investigating Electronic Nicotine Delivery System Use Habits and Contexts. 32ND Australian Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (OzCHI), Dec 2-4th, 2020.
- Weber, T., Ferrin, M., Sweeney, F., Ahmed, S. and Sharmin, M. Towards Identifying the Optimal Timing for Near Real-Time Smoking Interventions Using Commercial Wearable Devices. 2020 IEEE 44th Annual Computers, Software, and Applications Conference (COMPSAC), 429-438, 2020.
- Ahmed, S*., Deneke, W.*, Mai, V., Veneruso, A., Stepita, M., Dawson, A., Hoefel, B., Claeys, G., Lam, N., and Sharmin, M. InterViewR: A Mixed-Reality Based Interview Training Simulation Platform for Individuals with Autism. 2020 IEEE 44th Annual Computers, Software, and Applications Conference (COMPSAC), 439-448, 2020.
- Hridi, AP.*, Ahmed, S.*, Abeer, IA., Saha, A., Sinha, A., Hossain, MS., Ahmed, N., and Sharmin, M. Understanding the Educational Landscape of Children with Autism in Bangladesh. International Conference on Information (iConference).Springer, Cham. 441-455, 2020.
- Ahmed, S., Hossain, MF, Price, K., Pranger, C., Hossain, MM., Sharmin, M. A Tale of the Social-Side of ASD, IEEE Computer Software and Applications Conference (COMPSAC), 644-652, 2019.
- Hossain, M. M., Sharmin, M. and Ahmed, S. Bangladesh Emergency Services: A Mobile Application to Provide 911-Like Service in Bangladesh, ACM SIGCAS Conference on Computing and Sustainable Societies (ACM COMPASS), 2018.
- Sharmin, M.*, Hossain, M.M.*, Saha, A., Das, M., Maxwell, M. and Ahmed, S., 2018, April. From Research to Practice: Informing the Design of Autism Support Smart Technology. In Proceedings of the 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (p. 102). ACM.
- Polack, P. J., Chen, S-T., Kahng, M., Barbaro, K. D., Basole, R., Sharmin, M. and Chau, D. H. Chronodes: Interactive Multi-focus Exploration of Event Sequences, ACM Transactions on Interactive Intelligent Systems (TIIS), 2018.
- Sharmin, M., Weber, T., Sarker, H., Saleheen, N., Kumar, S., Ahmed, S., and al'Absi, M. Opportunities and Challenges in Designing Participant-Centric Smoking Cessation System, IEEE COMPSAC, 2017.
- Hossain, M. M., Sharmin, M. and Ahmed, S. Understanding the Feasibility of a Location-Aware Mobile-Based 911-like Emergency Service in Bangladesh, IEEE COMPSAC, 2017.
- Sarker, H., Tyburski, M., Rahman, M. M., Hovsepian, K., Sharmin, M. et al. Finding Significant Stress Episodes in a Discontinuous Time Series of Rapidly Varying Mobile Sensor Data, ACM CHI, 4489-4501, 2016.
- Sharmin, M., Raij, A., Epstien, D., Nahum-Shani, I., Beck, G., Vadhuri, S., Preston, K., and Kumar, S. Visualization of Time-Series Sensor Data to Inform the Design of Just-In-Time Adaptive Stress Interventions,ACM Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing (UbiComp 2015).
- Ahmed, S. and Sharmin, M. Why do mobile phone-based smoking cessation interventions struggle and how can we make them more effective?, ACM iConference, 2015.
- Kumar, S., Abowd, G., Abraham, W., al’Absi, M., Beck, J.G., Chau, D.H., Condie, T., Conroy, D.E., Ertin, E., Estrin, D., Ganesan, D., Lam, C., Marlin, B., Marsh, C.B., Murphy, S.A., Nahum-Shani, I., Patrick, K., Rehg, J.,Sharmin, M., Shetty, V., Sim, I., Spring, B., Srivastava, M., Wetter, D. (2015). Center of Excellence for Mobile Sensor Data-to-Knowledge (MD2K), Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association.
Peer Reviewed Posters and Extended Abstracts
(partial list, sorted chronologically)
- Dawson, A., Ahmed, S., Sharmin, M., and Deneke, W. InterViewR: A Mixed-Reality Based Interview Training Simulation Platform for Individuals with Autism, GHC 2020.
- Fox, E., Baden, S., Greene, J., Ziegler, N., and Sharmin, M. Connection: Assisting Neurodiverse Individuals in Forming Lasting Relationships Through a Digital Medium. The 21st International ACM SIGACCESS Conference on Computers and Accessibility, 633-635, 2019.
- McCulloch, S., Hoefel, B., Gildner, J., Ahmed, S. and Sharmin, M. Towards Understanding the Life of Neurodiverse College Students Through Visualization, IEEE VIS, 2019.
Sweeney, F., Weber, T. and Sharmin, M. Predicting Smoking Urges from Biometric Markers, Grace Hopper Conference (GHC) 2019. (Selected to participate in the ACM Student Research Competition).
Fox, E. R., Baden, S. and Sharmin, M. Connections: A Systematic Analysis on People with ASD and How to Improve Their Isolation with Technologies, Grace Hopper Conference (GHC) 2019.
- Puchko, A., Henning, M., Jang, C., and Sharmin, M. LapseAnalyzer: A Web-based Visual Analytics Tool for Aiding Smoking Cessation, Grace Hopper Conference (GHC), 2018. (Selected as a participant in the ACM Student Research Competition (ACM SRC)).
- Johnson, C., Ahmed, S., and Sharmin, M. Connection: An Autism-Friendly Inclusive Dating App, Grace Hopper Conference (GHC), 2018.
- Weber, T., Ahmed, S., and Sharmin, M. Opportunities and Challenges in Designing Participant-Centric Smoking Cessation Systems, Grace Hopper Conference (GHC), 2017. Runner Up in ACM Student Research Competition (ACM SRC) and Recipient of Outstanding Undergraduate Poster, Western Scholars Week, 2017.
- Hossain, MM., Bowen, S., Mooneyham, J., Sharmin, M., and Ahmed, S. NAAP: A Prevention Strategy Using Mobile App and Wearable Devices, Grace Hopper Conference (GHC), 2017. (Selected as a participant in the ACM Student Research Competition (ACM SRC))
- Fang, D., Hohman, F., Polack, P., Sarker, H., Kahng, M., Sharmin, M., al'Absi, M., Chau, D H. mHealth Visual Discovery Dashboard, ACM UbiComp 2017, 237-240.
- Ahmed, N., Ahmed, S., and Sharmin, M. Appropriation and Influence of Facebook in Young Adults in Bangladesh, Grace Hopper Conference (GHC), 2017
- Polack, P. J., Chen, S-T., Kahng, M., Sharmin, M., and Chau, D. H. TimeStitch: Interactive Multi-focus Cohort Discovery and Comparison, IEEE VIS, 2015.