Hsiang-Jen Hong, PhD
Assistant Professor · He/Him/His
Hsiang-Jen Hong joined Western Washington University in September 2023 as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Science. His research interests encompass a wide spectrum, including cybersecurity, blockchain technology, and computer networks, with a specific focus on the underlying algorithmic techniques. Additionally, he displays keen enthusiasm for optimization problems involving combinatorial optimization and game theory. More recently, he has delved into the realm of crucial techniques such as Multi-Party Computation (MPC) and Zero-Knowledge Proofs (ZKPs), which hold immense significance for the evolving landscape of Web3.
Outside of work, he loves traveling, cooking, enjoying a good cup of coffee, and immersing himself in independent music.
Blockchain, Network Security, Computer Networking, and Combinatorial Optimization.
Educational & Professional Experience:
Before joining WWU, Hsiang-Jen Hong was a postdoctoral associate at the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs, working on cybersecurity with a focus on distributed systems and blockchain. He received his Ph.D. in Computer Science and Information Engineering at the National Taiwan University of Science and Technology in 2018.
Hsiang-Jen Hong serves on program committees in several cybersecurity and blockchain conferences such as Silicon Valley Cybersecurity Conference, International Congress on Blockchain and Applications, and International Conference on Cryptography and Blockchain.
- Hsiang-Jen Hong, Sang-Yoon Chang, Xiaobo Zhou, "Auto-tune: An efficient autonomous multi-path payment routing algorithm for Payment Channel Networks," Elsevier Computer Networks (COMNET), vol. 225, 2023, 109659. (Earlier version in Proc. of 2022 IEEE 47th Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN))
- Hsiang-Jen Hong, Wenjun Fan, Simeon Wuthier, Jinoh Kim, Xiaobo Zhou, C. Edward Chow, Sang-Yoon Chang, "Robust P2P Networking Connectivity Estimation Engine for Permissionless Bitcoin Cryptocurrency," Elsevier Computer Networks (COMNET), vol. 219, 2022, 109436. (Earlier version in Proc. of 2021 IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Quality of Service (IWQoS))
- Wenjun Fan, Hsiang-Jen Hong, Jinoh Kim, Simeon Wuthier, Makiya Nakashima, Xiaobo Zhou, C. Edward Chow, Sang-Yoon Chang, "Lightweight and Identifier-Oblivious Engine for Cryptocurrency Networking Anomaly Detection," IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing (TDSC), vol. 20, no.2, pp. 1302-1318, 2023.
- Hsiang-Jen Hong, Sang-Yoon Chang, Xiaobo Zhou "Auto-Tune: Efficient Autonomous Routing for Payment Channel Networks" in Proc. of 2022 IEEE 47th Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN), pp. 347-350. (This work got selected by Smart Contract Research Forum as one of the exceptional blockchain research in the Research Pulse Issue 81)
- Wenjun Fan, Simeon Wuthier, Hsiang-Jen Hong, Xiaobo Zhou, Yan Bai, Sang-Yoon Chang, "The Security Investigation of Ban Score and Misbehavior Tracking in Bitcoin Network," in Proc. of 2022 IEEE 42nd International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS), pp. 191-201.
- Hsiang-Jen Hong, Wenjun Fan, Simeon Wuthier, Jinoh Kim, Xiaobo Zhou, C. Edward Chow, Sang-Yoon Chang, "Robust P2P Connectivity Estimation for Permissionless Bitcoin Network," in Proc. of 2021 IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Quality of Service (IWQoS), pp. 1-6
- Wenjun Fan, Hsiang-Jen Hong, Xiaobo Zhou, Sang-Yoon Chang, "A Generic Blockchain Framework to Secure Decentralized Applications," in Proc. of 2021 IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), pp. 1-7.
- Wenjun Fan, Hsiang-Jen Hong, Simeon Wuthier, Xiaobo Zhou, Yan Bai, Sang-Yoon Chang, "Security Analyses of Misbehavior Tracking in Bitcoin Network," in Proc. of 2021 IEEE International Conference on Blockchain and Cryptocurrency (ICBC), pp. 1-3.
- Hsiang-Jen Hong, Wenjun Fan, C. Edward Chow, Xiaobo Zhou, Sang-Yoon Chang, "Optimizing Social Welfare for Task Offloading in Mobile Edge Computing," in Proc. of 2020 IFIP Networking Conference (Networking), Paris, France, 2020, pp. 524-528.