Advice for Current Students
If you have not yet declared the CS major but are interested, please understand a few things about how we are working to address the current demand to study computer science. Computer Science pre-major courses now have access restrictions in Phase I of Registration (CSCI 141, 145, 241, 247, 301) to support our enrollment goals. Students that surpass the credit range will have the opportunity to register or waitlist late in Phase I. Note the date listed in ClassFinder when access restrictions lift.
- Declare a pre-major in Computer Science as soon as you complete CSCI 141 and are in CSCI 145. This helps us contact you with updates. To declare a pre-major, fill out the CS Pre-major Sign Up and schedule and advising session with CS Advisor Mary Hall by emailing Mary.Hall@wwu.edu
- If you can’t get into the next CSCI class you need, be sure to get on the waitlist for all available sections of that class. We carefully examine the waitlists each quarter to determine the demand for the class.
- Continue to work on completing math and science coursework required of the CSCI major.
- If you have a high number of credits but have completed very few CSCI requirements then you’re going to have a hard time getting into the major in a timely fashion. We suggest that you explore related majors. Please contact the Academic Advising Center in OM 380,
Advising@wwu.edu to schedule an appointment with an advisor to discuss alternative majors.
- Apply to the Computer Science major when you have completed CSCI 241, 247 and 301. Please pay attention to the posted application deadlines. There is no direct admission to the major.
Communications Facility, CF 495
All Computer Science majors are assigned a faculty advisor. The faculty advisor serves as the primary advising contact for declared majors.
Keep track of important dates and deadlines by visiting information about registration on the Registrar's page.
- Know the CS Major Requirements
- Find classes you need and stay on track for graduation with Degree Works
- Determine classes you need, and put together a schedule
- Connect with your advisor for any registration permissions or overrides early
- Attend a pre-registration advising session, if available
- Make sure you do not have any registration holds on your account (See Web4U)
- Register as soon as you are eligible
Need a registration override?
If you have a pre-requisite issue, please email the Pre-Major Advisor and include your name, W#, and the CRN of the class you are seeking to register for, and a description of the issue preventing you from being able to register. Email: Mary.Hall@wwu.edu
Requesting an Appointment
For advising and program information, please email Mary.Hall@wwu.edu
Please include in your email:
- Your name
- Your Western ID # (if you're an admitted student)
- Your advising goal, such as “Declare the Pre-major” or “Course Planning”
Students are also welcome to request a telephone appointment for M-F 9-4.
If you would like to schedule a telephone appointment, email days/times you can take a call, and your telephone number (including area code).