Current Computer Science Interest Students
Advice for Current CS Interest Students
- If you have not yet declared the CS Major but are interested, please understand how we are working to address the current demand to study computer science. Introductory Computer Science Pre-Major courses have some access restrictions in Phase I of registration (CSCI 141, 145, 241, 247, and 301) to support our enrollment goals. CSCI 141 and 145 have credit restrictions and 241, 247 and 301 have a Pre-Major restriction. Students that surpass the credit range or are not Pre-Majors, will have the opportunity to register when access restrictions lift.
- Declare the Computer Science Pre-Major as soon as you complete CSCI 145. This helps keep you on track and improves access to the rest of the Pre-Major classes.
- If you can’t get into the next CSCI class you need, be sure waitlist for all available sections of that class.
- Apply to the Computer Science Major when you are in the last of CSCI 241, 247 and 301. Pay attention to the posted application deadlines.
CS Pre-Major Advisor
Communications Facility, CF 495
CS Major advising
All Computer Science majors are assigned a faculty advisor. The faculty advisor serves as the primary advising contact for declared majors.
Keep track of important dates and deadlines by visiting information about registration on the Registrar's page.
- Know the CS Major Requirements
- Find classes you need and stay on track for graduation with Degree Works
- Determine classes you need, and put together a schedule
- Connect with your advisor for any registration permissions or overrides early
- Attend a pre-registration advising session, if available
- Make sure you do not have any registration holds on your account (See Web4U)
- Register as soon as you are eligible
Need a registration override?
If you have a pre-requisite issue, please email the Pre-Major Advisor and include your name, W#, and the CRN of the class you are seeking to register for, and a description of the issue preventing you from being able to register. Email: Mary.Hall@wwu.edu
Requesting an Appointment
For advising and program information, please email Mary.Hall@wwu.edu
Please include in your email:
- Your name
- Your Western ID # (if you're an admitted student)
- Your advising goal, such as “Declare the Pre-major” or “Course Planning”
Students are also welcome to request a telephone appointment for M-F 9-4.
If you would like to schedule a telephone appointment, email days/times you can take a call, and your telephone number (including area code).